We are all aware of when our bodies are starting to feel run down or slightly unwell, as it usually begins with a sore throat when swallowing. Typically, the best way to avoid developing a sore throat in the first place is to avoid any behaviours or activities that may cause infection or irritation to the throat in the first place. But with our hectic lifestyles who can lock themselves away every time they hear a sore throat is doing the rounds?
To give yourself the best fighting chance of avoiding a sore throat, try these top tips:
- Avoid close contact with others who are suffering with a sore throat.
- Avoid irritants that can cause swelling. Think cigarette smoke, pollution, shouting or even changes in air condition (air con is not that 'cool' when it comes to throats...).
- Breathe through your nose. Your nose is an excellent filter of bacteria and other harmful irritants and helps warm the air too.
- Eat right - vital vitamins found in fruit and vegetables will help support your immune system.
- Swallow - Despite it being rather painful when swallowing with a sore throat, it is often best as our natural saliva helps 'wash out' the throat.
- Drink plenty – a regular swig of water will help alleviate a dry throat.